Sep 26, 2022
The Sentinel offers nonprofit and other community organizations an opportunity to promote upcoming events for free in the community calendar for three days before the event. Events requiring reservations may be promoted for up to two weeks before the reservation deadline.
Events that require a purchase from a for-profit business, even if a donation is made to the organization, are not eligible for the calendar.
Submit items at least one week in advance via email, email@example.com; call (717) 248-6741; online, Virtual Newsroom at www.lewistownsentinel.com; or mail or drop off, The Sentinel, 352 Sixth St., P.O. Box 588 Lewistown, PA 17044. The editor reserves the right to edit all submissions.
You must include a telephone number for verification purposes. The phone number is not for publication, unless so indicated.
• Goose Day dinner –11 a.m. until sold out, Sept. 29, Reedsville Fire Co. Eat-in or take out. $15 includes goose, mashed potatoes, filling, gravy, corn, dinner roll and apple dumpling. To pre-order, call (717) 667-6110. Leave a name, phone number, how many meals and when you would like to pick up.
• Ham supper takeout meal — Pickup 4-6 p.m.,
Oct. 8, Lower Tuscarora Presbyterian Church, 54 Church Road, Mifflin (Academia). Meal is ham with raisin sauce, mashed potatoes/gravy, candied sweet potatoes, corn, green beans and cake. Last day to preorder is Oct. 1 by calling (717) 319-4527.
• Mifflin County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees luncheon meeting — noon, Thursday, Oct. 6, at Birch Hill Event Center, Burnham. Program will feature Bill Wade from CARIES speaking on Medicare Fraud. Menu: Caprese salad, ham, sweet potatoes, green bean almondine, rolls, gingerbread with whipped topping. Cost is $14. Reserve, with a number of persons attending, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (717) 437-6024 by noon, Friday, Sept. 30. All school retirees welcome.
Tuesday, Sept. 27
• Coffee with friends —
9 a.m.-noon at Lack-Tuscarora EMS, 9320 South Route 75, East Waterford.
• Dominos — 9 a.m., Yeagertown Senior Center.
• Free community meal — 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., New Life Church, 101 N. Beech St., Burnham. Homemade corn soup, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit and dessert will be served.
• Former Ohesson Manor retirees luncheon — noon, Bread of Life Restaurant. Reserve by calling Melva Gutshall at (717) 348-0880.
• Blood drive — 12:30-6 p.m., Port Royal Community Building. Appointments requested. For appointments and “Rapid Pass” visit: www.redcross.org.
• Break bread together dinner — 5 p.m., St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 21 S. Main St., Lewistown. Takeout menu is fried chicken.
Wednesday, Sept. 28
• Lewistown Post Office Retirees meeting — 11 a.m., Harshbarger’s Sub and Malt, Port Royal.
• Chief Logan Class of 1966 luncheon — 11 a.m. at Vince’s in Burnham.
• Chief Logan Class of 1961 luncheon — 11:30 a.m., Iron River Grille, 306 Country Club Road, Lewistown. Classmates and guests welcome.
• Mission quilts — 1 p.m., Yeagertown Senior Center. Sewing skills not necessary. Helpers needed.
• Mifflin County Library book group — 2:30-3:30 p.m., Mifflin County Library, 123 N. Wayne St., Lewistown. The book The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles will be discussed. New members are welcome, even if they haven’t read the book. Information: (717) 242-2391.
Thursday, Sept. 29
• Standard Steel Melt Shop retirees breakfast — 8:30 a.m. at Vince’s Pizza in Burnham. (NOT HELD IN NOV-DEC)
• Intro to Microsoft Word — 10 a.m.-noon, Pa. CareerLink of Mifflin County MCIDC Plaza building 58. A summary of the most used features in Word to create documents such as a resume or cover letter.
• Goose Day dinner —
11 a.m. until sold out, Sept. 29, Reedsville Fire Co. Eat-in or take out. $15 includes goose, mashed potatoes, filling, gravy, corn, dinner roll and apple dumpling.
• Bingo — 1 p.m., Yeagertown Senior Center.
• Blood drive — 1-6 p.m., St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church, Mifflintown. Appointments requested. For appointments and “Rapid Pass” visit: www.redcross.org.
• Goose Day bag sale —
10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sacred Heart Thrift Shop, 4 N. Dorcas St. Clothes and shoes are $5 per supplied bag
• Get smart about using your smartphone — 1-3 p.m., Pa. CareerLink of Mifflin County, MCIDC plaza building 58. Have all your smartphone questions answered and discover ways to manage your phone features to benefit you.
Upcoming reunions, including missing classmate requests, are published as part of the calendar and should be sent to email@example.com. Brief reports of reunions and class reunion photos with the people identified in the order in which they appear are accepted for publication in the Saturday Living section and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Harshbarger reunion — noon, Oct. 1, Longfellow Playground. Bring an item for auction.
• Stewart and Emma (Arnold) Wagner family reunion — Sunday, Oct. 2 at The Annsfield, Route 35, Mifflintown. Email email@example.com for more information.
• Chief Logan Class of 1958 — will get together at 4 p.m. Oct. 8 at the Belleville Store, or Tom and Ann McNabb’s Store on the corner of Belleville. For overnight accommodations, call (717) 935-2390. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. Call Nellie Wilson, (717) 953-9288 by Sept. 26 with the number of attendees.
• Rothrock High School Class of 1956 reunion –noon, Oct. 12, 2022, Hoss’s Steak and Sea House. Information: Call Shirley 717-248-2746.
• Lewistown Area High School Class of 1976 reunion “When I’m 64” –7-10 p.m., Friday, Oct. 14, 2022, Burnt Timbers Winery, 45 Fisher Bee. Lane, Granville. No cost. Donations appreciated. Cash bar, snacks. Bring your own chair. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook.com/Lewistown Area High School Class of 1976.
Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox
Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox
Copyright © The Sentinel | https://www.lewistownsentinel.com | 352 Sixth Street, Lewistown, PA 17044 | 717-248-6741